Monday, October 1, 2007

The Lion of Fairfax

All alone for the win..

Staying on Bjorns tail....

Bjorn and I taking off on the first lap..
Juniors 1st Place
There was a cyclocross race just a few blocks from my house, so I decided to give it a go. I was not sure how it would go on my mountain bike and all, but it was actually a sweet course, and might have even been better on my mountain bike. My race was around 12:30 so I went for a little 2 hour ride before to loosen up the legs. I was pretty unsure of how my legs would be, especially since I had played basketball for about 3 hours the day before. Well they did not feel very good on the ride, but they loosened up.

I was able to do one lap pre-ride of the course and then I had to get ready to go. There were a few solid riders out there. They had cross bikes and were not even carrying water bottles so I was a bit confused on how this was going to go. Then we were starting with the women, well they started about 30 seconds before us, so that proved to be the biggest obstacle of the course for me. Well the whistle was blown and we were off. I got a great start and was in the lead breaking the group into pieces, then we got to the first barrier. I actually made a good dismount and hopped back on with no problems. Then Bjorn Fox took over the lead from me and him and I rode away from the group. He was fighting pretty hard to stay in the front so I decided to sit and wait for him to make a mistake. Well this proved to cause me some problems as he continued to dismount in front of me on short singletrack climbs and such. We weaved through the women and stuck together for most of the race. And jeze cross definitely hurts, but it is fun. I think that the most painful part is trying to get riding again after jumping over the barrier. Once you get back on and such your legs just feel beaten up from that few hard steps.

With 2 laps to go I passed Bjorn on the steep uphill climb that we had to run up. I could tell that he was laboring and I just gassed it and opened a decent gap. I continued to charge through the final lap and I enjoyed my first race and first win at a cyclocross event.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Tyler, I'm like a crazy-big fan of your blog. Like, big-gear-up-the-hill crazy-big fan. Please write another blog. I check every 10 minutes so that I stay up to date. I want you to update.