Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Junior National Championships - Day 1

We drove 8 hours from our house to Irvine today and here was some of our entertainment, we were cracking up making these, I hope you enjoy them as well!





















Day 1 – Monday August 4, 2008

Coach picked me up in the Team Swift van today at 12:30 and Lindsay and Ryan were already with her, plus moo moo, her cat. My dad came in the van because we ended up having some changes in our plans. My dad was supposed to drive my sisters car down because earlier this summer she had hit a deer and it had to be taken to the shop and fixed, but the shop was still not done with the car yet. So he will have to make another trip down to LA when we get back, that’s pretty annoying.

I am glad that he came in the van though so that we have the mechanic along with us to take care of all of our problems before the Time Trial. Having him along also means that I don’t have to sleep on the floor, which was the original plan. Instead we have extended our room stay and I get a sweet bed, Ryan still has to sleep on the floor though…bummer. He’s still just a little guy though, so he can handle it.I am excited to go race, this will probably be my last Junior’s race ever! Wow! That is a crazy realization. I don’t know if the magnitude of it will hit me until this week is over, but I am definitely hoping to exit with a bang. It seems like just the other day that I started racing, but it has been awhile. 4 years now I suppose, that is quite a long time, more than 1/5 of my life so far.I was working on my resume in order to get on another team for next year, because next year I will be too old for Team Swift. Anyway, I have kept track of all the races that I have done, it was amazing to see visually.

Team Swift has been an awesome experience for me and I feel that with this program I have learned enough to be able to compete on a more experienced team. I am driving in the van driving to Nationals. It will be fun to race and hang out with the team. I brought some ping-pong balls and small Frisbees for the down time. We are staying at an extended stay hotel, which is cool because we will be able to cook our own food. That way we can save money by not having to eat out every night and we can easily eat healthy. We are staying there until Sunday because that is when my final Road Race is, so it should be a good week.

I am happy that this year my races are spread out along the week instead of the three days in a row that it was last year. I might end up having to do 5 races though because my fields are rather large and this year they decided to not have field limits that way everyone that wanted to compete will have the chance. I think that is pretty cool, but it might be quite annoying. It might mean that we will have heats, which are basically pre-races that you need to do well enough in so that you can make the cut to compete in the actual race. Those types of races are weird because no one is racing to win per say. It is all about using the least amount of energy and still make the cut. Anyhow, it will be a tough week of racing, but that is the way that it should be so that you feel a sense of accomplishment by winning.

The Van has been pretty fun thus far; Coach got us these mini video cameras called flip video. So Ryan and I have been playing with those and spending a lot of time laughing. Good for our health I suppose. We also have watched a bit of the 2003 Fleche Wallone on my new Mac Book. There is also this sweet camera on my Mac Book, which has these crazy effects that are really funny. We made videos with those effects and they made us laugh for a while. Plus we listened to a comedian on my iPod = more laughing. I guess you could say we laughed all the way to LA.

-tb

No comments: