Saturday, September 8, 2007

Elkhorn Stage Race-Day 2

34th Place Pleasant Valley Time Trial Elite 3

We went down to the Time trial course and Ethan was the first one of us that would be off and so I helped him get ready and then I got ready. We warmed up on trainers and my legs felt alright. I really wanted to have a great ride today because I thought that if I could stay within a minute of the leader than I could bring back that much time on anyone on the final stage and hopefully win it all. I headed out to the start and Ethan had started about 26 minutes before me so he was going to try and get me the disc, he got there about 15 seconds before I was about to head off though so I didn’t bother with it. I started out at a good pace, it was downhill but there was a tough head wind on the way out. I went out hard but I left some for the end. Right before the turn around I got caught by my 30 second man and I could see that my minute man was close behind us. This did not discourage me too much, as I knew that these were the strong men in the race because they had started the time trial in reverse order of the results from the first stage. Well I passed my 30-second man back and then the minute man who was on the Davis Bike Club Team came flying by. Well I started to crank to stay within 10 seconds of him and I fought hard. He slowly pulled away though and so did the 30 second man. I gave it all I had to the line and I was unsure of how I did, but pleased with my effort nonetheless. Well it turned out that my minute man had posted the fastest time in the 3’s for the Time trial and he was the new leader of the race and he went on to finish 2nd overall. My 30-second man went on to win the final stage and the overall. We got to see the results before we left from the Time Trial and I was very happy that I had only lost 1:32 and I sat in 19th place out of about 87 guys. I wanted to win though so I knew I had some work to do on the last stage, but I was within reach and since I am not a strong time-trialist I was happy with how I had done.

No comments: