Saturday, September 8, 2007

Giro Di San Francisco


Elite 3

I drove out with my grandfather to Sausalito and rode from there to the race. My legs felt alright, but not great on the way out there. I got there feeling decently warmed-up, but our race had been delayed due to some problems and so I got my number pinned and ate some food for a while. Ethan, Ryan and I then got in a good warm-up and rode up to Coit Tower a few times. Our plan for this race was to win as many primes as possible and then win the race of course. The race started out well, and my legs had not felt good during the warm-up, but when that adrenaline of racing came they felt pretty good. I sat up in the top 10 and I was thinking a lot about trying to do as little work as I could. A couple primes came, and I tried to get up to the front for them, but I kept getting cut off and knocked around and I did not want to waste myself. I watched as Ryan and Ethan worked some perfect teamwork to win a prime. Through the descent they were 1-2 and then Ryan came around before the last corner and got a gap as Ethan blocked. For the next prime I made it up to the front just as Ethan attacked. I got in front and started to block and worked like a charm. Nobody felt like fighting me and Ethan held it solo for a lap and got another prime. The race flew by from that point on and I continued to fight for good position. With 2 laps to go I sat 3rd wheel. As we came around for the last lap the field swarmed and I was toast. I struggled through the first corner as I got sandwiched between two guys. I held on tight and made it through and then I drilled it up the climb and Ethan got on my wheel. I fought through the backstretch to get him to the front and made it up near 5th wheel. It was chaos though and Ethan lost my wheel a few times and I of course had nothing for the sprint after attempting the lead out. We struggled to get good results in the finish, but I think we had a good team race.

No comments: